Saturday, November 13

RIP, ODB

One of the most innovative names - both literally and figuratively - in hip-hop passes on.
Rapper Ol' Dirty Bastard Dies

Wu-Tang Clan rapper Ol' Dirty Bastard died on Saturday (November 13) in New York, according to his spokesperson.

Sources close to ODB (whose real name was Russell Jones) said he had been complaining of chest pains earlier in the day.

A statement was released Saturday evening by ODB's mother, Cherry Jones. "This evening I received a phone call that is every mother's worst dream," she said. "My son, Russell Jones, passed away. To the public, he was known as Ol' Dirty Bastard. To me, he was known as Rusty, the kindest and most generous soul on earth. I appreciate all the support I received. Russell was more than a rapper - he was a loving father, brother, uncle and most of all, son. With love, Cherry Jones.

MTV News will have more on this story as it develops.