Friday, January 16

We Have Reclaimed The Literature Franchise

(SEATTLE) - Hello from the cold moist Northwest. And it took me all of 78 minutes on terra firma to get a winger pissed at me. While walking the streets, I came across some folks demonstrating for Wes Clark. I gave them the thumbs-up, saying "Anybody but Bush!" A couple of guys in front of us who work in the business district (they wore jackets saying such) turned and shot us a look to kill. We kept walking, shrugged our shoulders and just said, "Hey - my country sucks right now." That was the end of it. It feels good to be proud of being liberal.

Which brings me to the thing that got me in such a giddy mood to begin with. I went to the bookstore at LAX during my 90-minute wait for the boarding (do we still have to be there two hours early?), and REALLY liked what I saw: A window display overflowing with the titles, "Fraud," "Dude, Where's My Country," "American Dynasty," "Red, White and Liberal," "The Price of Loyalty," "Had Enough..."

It began to sink in: The good guys have recaptured the bookshelves. Ann Coulter was nowhere. O'Reilly's latest was sitting alone on a back shelf. If you looked under a table, you'd find a copy of Glenn Beck's book. But prominently displayed were Paul Krugman, Michael Moore, Molly Ivins, Ron Suskind, James Carville...man. THAT was inspiring.

Once you get out into the real world, you find out there are a lot of us. And I'm liking what I'm seeing.

See? I'm not always pissed off.