Tuesday, August 3

The DNC Hits the Streets

It was good to see young folks canvassing a corner of Beverly Hills today for the DNC. I stopped to chat with one of them, but I couldn't stop him from doing his pitch once he got going. Seems they're taking pledges of support, but only with a minimum of a $100 donation by credit card.

Now glad as I am to see the grassroots at work, I wonder about the wisdom of this. Getting signatures and e-mail addresses is a great idea, but for that price? And how many people want to give out their credit card number on a street corner? Actually, quite a few, if the names on his clipboard were any indication. But is this the right way to go about it?

'Course it WAS Beverly Hills. Tell me if I'm off base here, and what would be a better way to gain support. This way really didn't do it for me, especially since I told him I contribute to the DNC online via this site (which you can do by clicking the DNC logo there. Go on. Do it. Click. C'mon...).

By the way, I gave him the address here, so he'll be checking it out too. Suggestions?