Thursday, August 5

Malloy. Oy.

Well, it's Thursday and Air America's Mike Malloy is still taking nothing but calls from his old I.E. Network listeners. Tonight, he also ran a REALLLLY long monologue by his wife doing a character "Evangelina" which was clever the first four minutes. But it went ON. And ON. And ON. For practically an entire segment.

Even Prairie Home Companion knows anything longer than five minutes is death unless it's a proven commodity. Long folksy bits like this are what turned people off to liberal radio until AAR came on the air. I know I'll catch flak for this, but I put Jim Hightower into the same category. In contrast, Franken and Rhodes know the art of the quick hit - make your point, be funny and move on. Their shows are infinitely more entertaining.

After the Evangelina thing, Malloy heavily promoted that he was going to play a Bush sound bite at today's signing of the defense bill that we just would not believe! (Go on! Guess what it was!) Again, a topic which Air America touched on all day - without turning it into a major topic of discussion as Malloy did.

I really REALLY want to like this guy. What am I missing here?